Over 3,400 claims successfully settled for our clients for over £17 million

Can I Make A Japanese Knotweed Claim?

If Japanese knotweed has encroached on your property, we may be able to help you with
removal of the plant, together with securing compensation for any loss of value to your

What is Japanese Knotweed

Japanese knotweed is a non-native, invasive weed which is highly aggressive and can
cause damage to your property and grounds as well as knocking anything from 5-15% off
the value of your home.

It comes with regulations for its removal to avoid spreading, including the Anti-social
Behaviour Crime and Policing Act 2014 – having Japanese knotweed on your property isn’t
illegal but failing to manage the problem and allowing it to spread is!

If you own a property and the plant spreads to you from neighbouring land, you could be
eligible to make a claim. Even if knotweed was already present when you bought your home,
we may be able to bring a case if the previous owner failed to disclose its presence or a
surveyor failed to spot it.


Looking at it from the outside, Japanese Knotweed may look harmless particularly in Winter
when it withers down to ground level – come Summer, however, it’s bamboo-like stems can
grow up to 7 feet tall.

The biggest concern can’t be seen; its devastating root system can spread to a depth of
around three metres underground and can fatally undermine the foundations of your home
and cause serious damage to buildings.

Since it was introduced to Britain in the 19th century, Japanese Knotweed has spread like
wildfire, mainly due to careless landowners and property developers.

The most common reason for an infestation in residential gardens is that it has spread from
adjacent commercial land such as railway embankments or construction sites.

If you’ve identified Japanese knotweed in your garden, you can expect to face a bill of
several thousand pounds in order to eradicate the problem before it causes lasting damage
to your home, but the good news is that you may be eligible to claim compensation.

if you’d like more information or would like to book a FREE consultation to chat through your
concerns, call us on 0161 348 7670 or complete the form opposite and we will get back to you

Once your claim has been approved we work with solicitors to help you receive the
maximum compensation you can get to help fund the removal of this vicious plant. We work
on a no win, no fee basis. This means that you won’t have to pay anything if your case
doesn’t win.

Want to know more?

Fill out the form and we'll be in touch.

Consumer Reclaim Ltd is regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority in respect of regulated claims management activities, reference number: 835212. Registration is recorded at: https://register.fca.org.uk. Consumer Reclaim Ltd is registered in England and Wales, Company Registration number: 07223077. Information Commissioner Office number: ZA176000. VAT number: 144 4752 12